Ghaiyyath to skip the Arc and target Ascot or the Breeder's Cup
- It's now unlikely that Ghaiyyath will run in the 2020 Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe
- Charlie Appleby's star has won three Group Ones this season
- Ghaiyyath was well beaten in the Arc last season
- Connections are leaning towards runs at Ascot and the Breeder's Cup
William Buick celebrates after winning the Juddmonte International Stakes (British Champions Series) on Ghaiyyath. (Getty)
Charlie Appleby revealed this week that Ghaiyyath will probably skip another run in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, with runs in the Champion Stakes and the Breeder's Cup Turf under consideration.
Ghaiyyath2020 Champion Stakes FavouriteGET 15/8 HERE
+18 only. Gamble Responsibly. Ts and Cs apply. Ladbrokes is operated by LC International Limited (Suite 6, Atlantic Suites, Gibraltar) and licensed (ref 54743) and regulated by the British Gambling Commission for persons gambling in Great Britain. For persons gambling outside Great Britain, Ladbrokes is licensed (ref 010, 012) by the Government of Gibraltar and regulated by the Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner.
Ghaiyyath was fancied by many to run well in the Arc 12 months ago, but Charlie Appleby's front-runner faded notably from the front and finished well down the field.
Appleby's star has been one of the stars of the 2020 season so far, powering to impressive victories in the Coronation Cup, Coral-Eclipse and the Juddmonte International Stakes.
Ghaiyyath fell to a surprise defeat at Leopardstown last time out, where he succumbed to Magical, who successfully defended her Irish Champions Stakes crown.
Despite that defeat, Ghaiyyath still featured prominently in the betting for the 2020 Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe. That was until late this week, as Charlie Appleby revealed the team were leaning towards skipping the Arc this season.
"I think it is probably more a negative than a positive at the moment. I think we are saying the Arc is probably an unlikely next start for him." Appleby said to the press earlier this week.
"Plans will be dictated by the conditions. The horse had a quiet week after Leopardstown, as he has done after each race this year, but we've been pleased that he is showing his wellness again."
"He has put up four big performances this year and the first two or three were nicely spaced out. We know that was one of his quickest back ups all season - from the Juddmonte to the Irish Champion Stakes."
"We've seen what he can do over a mile and a quarter and a mile and a half. Ascot is there as a possibility for sure."
"When you win an Eclipse, then a Juddmonte and then go and run a great race in the Irish Champion over 10 furlongs, I think people tend to forget what he can do over a mile and a half."
"To go for the Arc and then look for a target afterwards, ie the Breeders' Cup - that would be a big ask for a horse like him, in my opinion, as he puts in so much."
Bookmakers Ladbrokes have now slashed Ghaiyyath's British Champions Day odds, listing the Godolphin star as their 15/8 favourite for the Champion Stakes. Ladbrokes also pushed Ghaiyyath to the head of their betting for the Breeders' Cup Turf, quoting a top price of 3/1.
Ghaiyyath Betting Markets with Ladbrokes
Qipco Champion Stakes
15/8 Ghaiyyath, 11/4 Mishriff, 3/1 Magical, 5/1 Enable, Love, 7/1 Persian King, 8/1 Lord North, 10/1 Pyledriver, 11/1 bar
Breeders’ Cup Turf
3/1 Ghaiyyath, 7/2 Love, 6/1 Enable, 7/1 Magical, 9/1 Mogul, 12/1 Logician, Mishriff, 14/1 Serpentine, Sottsass, 16/1 bar
24 October 2020
- Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Justin Gaethje: Get 25/1 for Khabib to win at William Hill
- UFC 254 Khabib Nurmagomedov Price Boosts - Get 25/1, 10/1 and more on Khabib to beat Justin Gaethje
- UFC 254 Betting Preview & Special - Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Justin Gaethje headlines Fight Island
- Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Justin Gaethje Betting Tips, Predictions & Odds - Khabib to remain unbeaten in lightweight title at UFC 254
25 October 2020
- NRL Grand Final Betting Tips, Predictions & Odds - Penrith Panthers vs Melbourne Storm for the NRL premiership
- NRL Grand Final First Tryscorer Betting Tips, Predictions & Odds - Who will get the first try of the final?
- Clive Churchill Medal Tips, Predictions & Odds - Who will be named best on ground in NRL Grand Final?