The South Sydney Rabbitohs host the Newcastle Knights in the second Elimination Final on Sunday afternoon.
The Rabbitohs enter the finals series in sensational form after thrashing the Roosters last weekend, while the Knights at the other end of the spectrum following a heavy defeat at the hands of the Gold Coast Titans.
South Sydney Rabbitohs Form
It will be hard to find a more dominant performance than what the Rabbitohs served up to the Roosters last weekend, thrashing the defending back-to-back premiers 60-8.
After building strong momentum towards the end of the season, the Rabbitohs looked in trouble when going down to the Bulldogs two weeks back, but returned to form against the Roosters.
South Sydney Rabbitohs Team News
Jaydn Su'A returns from suspension, pushing Cameron Murray back to lock, Liam Knight to the bench and Hame Sele out of the side.
The Rabbitohs team for Sunday can be found below:
1. Corey Allan 2. Alex Johnston 3. Campbell Graham 4. Dane Gagai 5. Jaxson Paulo 6. Cody Walker 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Junior Tatola 9. Damien Cook 10. Thomas Burgess 11. Jaydn Su'a 12. Bayley Sironen 13. Cameron Murray 14. Mark Nicholls 15. Liam Knight 16. Jed Cartwright 17. Keaon Koloamatangi 18. Steven Marsters 19. Hame Sele 20. Troy Dargan 21. Patrick Mago
Newcastle Knights Form
The Knights were billed as genuine premiership chances, but their season was thrown into disarray after a 30-point to the Gold Coast Titans last week.
Looking far from the side which dominated the St George Illawarra Dragons at home the week before, the Knights were torn to shreds through the middle by the Titans as they lost 36-6.
Newcastle Knights Team News
Lachlan Fitzgibbon returns to the second-row pushing Sione Mata'utia to the bench. Jacob Saifiti will have to fight a crusher tackle charge to play.
The Knights team list for Sunday can be found below:
1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Edrick Lee 3. Enari Tuala 4. Bradman Best 5. Hymel Hunt 6. Mason Lino 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. David Klemmer 9. Kurt Mann 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 12. Aidan Guerra 13. Mitchell Barnett 14. Chris Randall 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Herman Ese'ese 17. Sione Mata'utia 18. Josh King 19. Gehamat Shibasaki 20. Tex Hoy 21. Brodie Jones
South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Newcastle Knights Head To Head
The Rabbitohs and Knights can barely be separated, with the Rabbitohs winning 14 to the Knights' 15 from 29 head-to-head matches. The Knights have won the last two head-to-head matches against the Rabbitohs, but the Rabbits won the previous five straight games before then.
South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Newcastle Knights Betting Odds
The Rabbitohs are unbackable 1.33 favorites to defeat the Knights who are 3.40 to cause an upset. The line has been set at +9.5 for Newcastle.
South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Newcastle Knights Match Up
Mitchell Pearce and Adam Reynolds are two of the best halfbacks in the NRL, and will be vital towards their respective sides chances this weekend.
Pearce has thrived since joining the Knights last season, developing an extremely strong partnership with Kalyn Ponga. Pearce is a very experienced half who has led premiership teams in the past, and will be faced with an uphill battle to turn his side around after their massive loss last weekend.
On the other hand, Reynolds possesses one of the best kicking games in the competition and enters the finals in arguably career best form.
South Sydney Rabbitohs vs Newcastle Knights Key Stats
- The Rabbitohs have won 5 of their last 7 matches.
- The Knights haven’t won or lost consecutive matches in six weeks.
- The Rabbitohs have only completed their sets of six at 76%.