- Friday 22
- Saturday 23
- Sunday 24
- Monday 25
- Tuesday 26
- Wednesday 27
- Thursday 28
- Friday 29
- Saturday 30
- Sunday 31
- Monday 1
Pumas vs Lions Predictions & Tips - Lions tipped for bonus point win
- Pumas vs Lions predictions for Saturday’s Currie Cup match
- Match is being played at 12:30 GMT at the Mbombela Stadium
- Lions have been brilliant in their last 2 matches, winning by 16 & 15 points
- I am backing the Lions to win by more than 15 points
- Match preview, predictions and latest team news
Lions backed for big win against Pumas in Currie Cup (Getty Images)
Pumas vs Lions Predictions
The Pumas have put in some decent performances but the Lions will be desperate to take all five points on Saturday. The visitors have been convincing winners against two strong sides recently and are backed to cover the -15 handicap in this one.
- Pumas have lost 9 of their last 11 matches (all competitions).
- Lions have won their last 4 matches (Currie Cup).
- Lions have won their last 2 matches by 16 & 15 points (Currie Cup).
Head to Head
The Lions have won four of their last five matches against the Pumas Their last match took place in the 2019 Currie Cup where the Lions escaped with a narrow 38-37 win at Emirates Airline Park.
The Pumas playoff hopes are long gone and have little other than pride to play for. They have achieved just one win in the Currie Cup, against the bottom side, Griquas.
Last week the Pumas had a bye but they had two impressive performances before that, despite defeat. The Pumas were in the match against Western Province until a last minute try gave Province a 28-14 win at Newlands.
The following week the Pumas hosted the Cheetahs where they went down 35-31. After a brilliant first half performance the Pumas faded in the second half.
Pumas Injuries & Team News
The Pumas have no fresh injury concerns and should play the same team as the one that faced the Cheetahs.
The Lions have been in superb form since the Currie Cup began with four wins from their four matches. They currently sit third on the table because they didn’t carry many points over from Super Rugby Unlocked.
Victory for the Lions on Saturday will all but secure their place in the Currie Cup playoffs with one match to play. Last week the Lions fixture against the Bulls was postponed after the Bulls had positive COVID-19 tests.
That match will now take place on 6 January and will be the Lions final fixture. The Lions have been brilliant but perhaps saved their best performance for their last match against the Sharks.
The Johannesburg-based outfit beat the Sharks 27-12 in a very dominant display at home. The previous week they defeated the Cheetahs 39-23 in Bloemfontein.
Lions Injuries & Team News
Normally the Lions would have considered resting players because there is a four day turnaround before their next match against the Bulls. Victory however in this one will secure them a playoff birth so the coaching staff are leaving nothing to chance.
The Lions have made two changes, both in the front-row. Sti Sithole is injured so Dylan Smith comes in while Wiehahn Hurst replaces veteran Jannie du Plessis at tighthead prop.
Pumas vs Lions FAQ
What is the Pumas vs Lions best bet?
The best bet for this match is the Lions to cover the -15 handicap.
Where can I watch the Pumas vs Lions live stream?
Our live streaming calendar shows you where to watch the Pumas vs Lions live stream.
Top Betting Sites
23 January 2021
24 January 2021
- Conor McGregor vs Dustin Poirier Boosts - Get 50/1, 6/1 enhanced odds and Free Bets
- Conor McGregor vs Dustin Poirier Risk Free Bet - Money back if your bet loses
- Conor McGregor vs Dustin Poirier: Get 50/1 for McGregor to win in Round 1
- Conor McGregor vs Dustin Poirier: Get 6/1 for McGregor to win at Parimatch