- Monday 21
- Tuesday 22
- Wednesday 23
- Thursday 24
- Friday 25
- Saturday 26
- Sunday 27
- Monday 28
- Tuesday 29
- Wednesday 30
- Thursday 1
Highlanders vs Rebels Predictions & Tips - Struggles to continue for Rebels in Sydney
- Highlanders vs Rebels predictions for Sunday’s Super Rugby trans-Tasman fixture
- Match is being played at 06:00 BST at the Leichhardt Oval in Sydney
- The Rebels have failed to get within 20 points of their opposition in their last 2 matches
- I am backing the Highlanders to cover the -17 handicap
- Preview, predictions, stats & team news
Highlanders backed for convincing win in Sydney (Getty Images)
Highlanders vs Rebels Predictions
The Rebels have struggled in the opening two weeks of Super Rugby trans-Tasman. They have been beaten by 47 and 22 points in their two matches. I’m backing the Highlanders to cover the -17 handicap in this one.
- Highlanders covered the -17 handicap in their last home match.
- Highlanders have won their last 2 matches.
- Rebels have lost their last 2 matches by 47 & 22 points.
- Rebels have lost 5 of their last 6 matches.
- Rebels have scored less than 20 points in 5 of their last 6 matches.
Head to Head
The Rebels have won their last two matches against the Highlanders. Their last encounter took place in 2020 where the Rebels won 28-22 in Dunedin.
The Highlanders have won their opening two Super Rugby trans-Tasman fixtures. They opened the tournament with a 40-19 home win over the Reds who won the Super Rugby AU title the week before.
That was followed by a less convincing 25-15 win in Perth against the Western Force. They failed to get the bonus point in the latter fixture which puts them a point behind the leaders.
This weekend the Highlanders will fancy their chances given the Rebels struggles thus far.
Highlanders Injuries & Team News
Josh Ioane starts at fullback while Mitch Hunt remains at flyhalf after putting in some impressive performances. The Highlanders have no fresh injury concerns ahead of this fixture.
The Rebels have regressed since the 2020 season. In Super Rugby AU they struggled in the second half of the campaign and ended up handing the playoff spot off to the Force.
For some reason their attack has been poor this season, the worst across New Zealand and Australia. They have struggled to score tries all season and there is no sign of that stopping now.
On the opening weekend the Rebels got hammered 50-3 by the Blues. In round two it went slightly better but they still suffered a 35-13 loss at the Hurricanes.
Rebels Injuries & Team News
This match had to be moved to Sydney after Melbourne went into a mini-lockdown. This meant the Rebels couldn’t fly to New Zealand.
No players have however been affected so the Rebels will have a full squad from which to pick.
Highlanders vs Rebels Live Stream FAQ
Where can I watch the Highlanders vs Rebels live stream?
Our live streaming calendar shows you where to watch the Highlanders vs Rebels live stream.