Goal Line Betting Term Meaning
‘Goal line’ betting refers to the number of goals you think will be scored during a game. Some betting sites label the goal line as over/under goals and it can be applied to any sport that involves goals being scored.
The advantage of betting on the goal line is that you do need to be exact for your bet to win as this is an under or over market. This is the key difference between these markets and betting on total goals which do require precision.
Bookmakers generally set the goal line for half a goal (.5). As we know it is impossible to score half a goal that means the bet will either win or lose.
English Premier League: Cardiff vs Chelsea (bet365)
|over/under 0.5 goals||1.03||11.50|
|over/under 1.5 goals||1.25||3.95|
|over/under 2.5 goals||1.80||2.00|
|over/under 3.5 goals||3.00||1.38|
|over/under 4.5 goals||5.70||1.13|
For instance, if you bet on over 2.5 goals in the Cardiff vs Chelsea match, these are the possibilities:
- Match finishes 0-0. Total goals scored = 0. Bet loses.
- Match finishes 1-0 to Cardiff or 0-1 to Chelsea. Total goals scored = 1. Bet loses.
- Match finishes 2-0, 1-1 or 0-2. Total goals scored = 2. Bet loses.
- Match finishes 3-0, 2-1, 0-3 or 1-2. Total goals scored = 3. Bet wins.
- Match finishes 4-0, 3-1, 2-2, 0-4 or 1-3. Total goals scored = 4. Bet wins.
Goal line betting has become increasingly popular in recent years. Several sportsbooks offer special over/under goals coupons to save punters the effort of looking through each match individually to select their bets. To find more value, you can bet on goal line markets live in-play. The odds displayed above are pre-match, but these change once the game has kicked off. If it remains 0-0 after 30 minutes, all of the over prices will lengthen (increase) while the under prices will shorten (decrease).
Points to Consider When Placing Goal Line Bets
Analysing stats is hugely important when you’re trying to land a bet. Small margins often decide games and doing your homework can be the difference between a winning and a losing bet. It’s important to take the following points into consideration:
- Leagues - There’s no denying that certain leagues provide more goals than others. For instance, in the Premier League 17/18 season there were a total of 1,018 goals scored but for the same season, the Danish Superliga recorded just 731 goals.
- Games - A Champions League final between Juventus and Bayern Munich is likely to produce fewer goals than an F.A. Cup tie between Arsenal and Newport County. Games between high-quality teams tend to produce fewer goals as the stakes are often much higher.
- Team Sheets - Remember to check the team sheets before placing any goal line bets. For instance, if you’re betting on the goal line between Liverpool vs Tottenham you’ll want to make sure that prolific goalscorers such as Mo Salah and Harry Kane are playing. Similarly, if an important defender is absent from the lineup there’s a chance that more goals will be scored.